One of the largest events held by SLAWNY is the annual Fall Sharing conference. This conference provides librarians with access to a nationally known keynote speaker, hour long/speed sessions on a variety of topics, and time to connect with area vendors.
This year's conference was held at North Tonawanda Middle School and was expertly planned by SLAWNY's President, Katie LaFever. Everyone was really excited to meet Mr. Schu, the Scholastic National Ambassador for School Libraries, who served as this year's keynote speaker.
Only a few days away! Can't wait to welcome @MrSchuReads to Western New York. See you at Fall Sharing this Saturday, October 19th. For more info, visit: https://t.co/bKtjtOaHuI #SLAWNYleads pic.twitter.com/YoCTw1KPwR— SLAofWNY (@SLAofWNY) October 17, 2019
The morning began with smiling faces at the registration desk. Upon receiving a packet of information for the conference, librarians were presented with two copies of the book Game Changer by Donalyn Miller and Colby Sharp. These books, a perk of membership, were donated by the Erie 2 Chautauqua-Cattaraugus BOCES School Library System. They will serve as an advocacy tool for area librarians. Librarians were encouraged to keep a copy of the book, and pass the other copy to a school administrator in order to discuss the need for book access for all children.
![]() |
| Susan and Abby working at the registration desk. |
Welcome, Award, and Keynote
After a quick stop in the cafeteria for coffee and breakfast, the librarians assembled in the school's music suite. SLAWNY President Katie LaFever provided a welcome message and an overview of the day's events.
Fall Sharing begins! Thank you SLAWNY President @LafeverKatie for all of your efforts in putting this day together. #SLAWNYleads pic.twitter.com/DrUr8Pyavb— SLAofWNY (@SLAofWNY) October 19, 2019
Everyone was eager to hear the winner of SLAWNY's Advocate of the Year Award. This year's winner was the incredible Donn Riggi, librarian at Alden Middle School. Over her career, Donn has built a reputation for being a creative and generous educator. Donn is always finding ways to get students excited about reading. She spearheaded the start of a regional Battle of the Books tournament (which Iroquois Middle School students LOVE to participate in!). She has also hosted many student teachers throughout the years, which allows her to share her infectious enthusiasm for school libraries. She has made a monumental impact on the WNY school library community, and is so deserving of this honor!
@DonnRiggi is such an inspiration to me and is definitely deserving of SLAWNY's Library Advocate award! #smilefile #slawnyleads pic.twitter.com/kxcSKiEqUr— Stephanie Pritchard (@sk348) October 19, 2019
“I can’t imagine a greater honor than being recognized by your peers.” - @DonnRiggi, Sharing her thoughts on winning this year’s SLAWNY advocates of the year award. #SLAWNYleads— SLAofWNY (@SLAofWNY) October 19, 2019
It was now time for the first keynote address from Mr. Schu! I've had the pleasure of seeing Mr. Schu at several conferences. Whenever I see him, I always feel energized and empowered regarding the good work that school librarians can do. Mr. Schu is a huge proponent of effective school library programs and how librarians can promote kindness and a love for reading within their schools.
During his address, Mr. Schu shared how educators have the ability to impact students, either in a positive or a negative way. I know this to be true. Throughout my own K-12 education, I can recall educators that went out of their way to make school a kind, encouraging, and welcoming environment. Sadly, I can also recall teachers who did not make school a positive or welcoming place. Mr. Schu reminds us that we have the power to shape students' perception of education, and we should use our platform in an uplifting way.
The message educators send to students can leave a lifelong mark on their hearts. @MrSchuReads challenges SLAWNY librarians...what message will we tattoo on our students’ hearts? #SLAWNYleads pic.twitter.com/uOiesniGcC— Maria Muhlbauer (@muhlbs83) October 19, 2019
We create a "Circle of safety and a circle of compassion" in our school libraries. Mr. Schu #SLAWNYLeads— William Street School Library (@LibraryWilliam) October 19, 2019
Hour Long Sessions
After hearing from Mr. Schu, conference participants took a short break before choosing an hour long session to attend. The hour long sessions allowed presenters to delve into a topic a bit more in-depth than a shorter session allows. There was a nice variety of session topics, which made it easy for attendees to find a session that would meet their needs.
| Descriptions of the Hour Long Sessions. |
I wish that I had more pictures from the hour long sessions, but I was presenting at this time! The topic I chose to present on was advocacy. Sometimes I feel it is difficult to discuss library advocacy issues, but it is a conversation worth having with library stakeholders. The librarians that attended this session had great advocacy ideas, so I walked away with some fresh ideas as well! The link to my advocacy presentation can be found by clicking here. I only wish I was able to clone myself to attend the other sessions!
Learned how to perfectly puzzle with breakout boxes from @sk348 @SLAofWNY #slawnyleads pic.twitter.com/2de6Ob7OAn— Haley W. (@burakowh) October 20, 2019
Networking with Vendors
Once the hour long sessions concluded, conference attendees had close to an hour to network and visit with vendors. The vendors and other sponsors are what made the day possible! It was helpful to get time to meet with them to hear about the latest and greatest library supplies available to us in Western New York.
![]() |
| Thank you, sponsors and vendors! |
![]() |
| Happy birthday to Harry, and happy retirement to both Harry and Linda! |
![]() |
| Chris presents selections from Gumdrop Books. |
![]() |
| Thank you, Follett Library Services! |
![]() |
| Rosen Publishing shares its print and digital offerings. |
![]() |
| It was great to partner with NFRC this year! |
![]() |
| Sharon presents the latest from Children's Plus. |
![]() |
| Monkey See, Monkey Do Children's Bookstore shares new titles for young readers. |
Speed Sessions
The time with the vendors seemed to fly by! The next portion of the conference was dedicated to the speed sessions. During this time, attendees are encouraged to view a variety of short presentations. Although not as in-depth as an hour session, the speed sessions are a perfect length to have a quick chat and gain some helpful insights from others.
| A listing of Fall Sharing's speed sessions. |
Thankfully, I was able to visit most of the speed sessions. During this time, I was able to grab some helpful ideas for new titles, as well as genrefication ideas for the library's nonfiction area. I'll plan to put some of these ideas into practice!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge during the speed sessions! #SLAWNYleads pic.twitter.com/ErAXZriPW7— megan moelbert (@MMoelbert) October 19, 2019
Thank you to authors @amylvpoemfarm and Dee Romito for sharing your passion and expertise at today’s Fall Sharing conference! #SLAWNYleads pic.twitter.com/FICO7n24hV— SLAofWNY (@SLAofWNY) October 19, 2019
Wonderful to see Charlie Kelly, our @nyla_ssl President, today at SLAWNY’s Fall Sharing conference. Thanks for sharing info about student volunteers with us! #leadoutloud #SLAWNYleads pic.twitter.com/d0MZpMYnJR— SLAofWNY (@SLAofWNY) October 19, 2019
![]() |
| Jessica shares ideas for QR codes and book reviews. |
![]() |
| Melissa shares practical tips for genrefying your library. |
![]() |
| Brandon provides ideas to make the most of Google and Microsoft products. |
Final Keynote
As the event concluded, participants were treated to lunch in the North Tonawanda High School Library (beautiful space!) and more time with Mr. Schu. Expanding upon his theme from the morning, Mr. Schu continued to share the book love and the ways librarians can make an impact on students.
![]() |
| Mr. Schu invites Fall Sharing participants to celebrate book birthdays for newly-published books. |
Conference Takeaways
I left Fall Sharing feeling energized, inspired, and full of new ideas for the library. After viewing the conference posts on Twitter, it's clear that other librarians in attendance felt the same way! Being a school librarian can sometimes be a strange job. Being the only librarian in a building can often feel isolating, which makes librarian-specific professional development time all the more special.
A central part of my heart as a child was nurtured and inspired by Mr. Rogers. I believe that part of my heart led me to become a school librarian. That part of my heart grew again today with nurture and inspiration from @MrSchuReads. Thank you. #slawnyleads— Stephanie Devaney (@sdevLibrarian) October 19, 2019
Mr. Schu @MrSchuReads is pure joy. I couldn't capture a moment where he wasn't in constant action. I'm going to try and snag a sefie later #SLAWNYleads @SLAofWNY pic.twitter.com/8gAaHZVjqR— Christina Carter (@CeCeLibrarian) October 19, 2019
Some pictures from #SLAWNYLeads Fall Sharing this weekend! pic.twitter.com/drSZPx6Wqk— Katie LaFever (@LafeverKatie) October 21, 2019
Thank you to all that made Fall Sharing 2019 such a special and memorable experience! I'm already looking forward to Fall Sharing 2020.













No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.