At the school and district level, I have worked to provide stakeholders with insights into our school library's purpose and programming through a variety of avenues. This blog, outreach to staff, and monthly reports provide information about the library's current offerings as well as long term goals. The local outreach helps to bring more classes and teachers into the library, and it also provides information needed during times of budget planning.
As I delve deeper into the purpose and benefits of library advocacy, I am beginning to understand that local outreach is only one part of the equation. Since libraries of all types rely on public funding in order to sustain their efforts, it's important to develop relationships with policymakers to alert them to the resources and services their constituents can access through libraries.
The New York Library Association organizes an annual advocacy day in Albany, NY. Although I've always wanted to attend, 2020 was the first year I could make this a reality. I'm grateful that my employer, Iroquois Central, was supportive of my attendance at this event. The Western New York Library Resources Council organized meetings for Western New York librarians and library supporters to meet with our area's elected officials.
![]() |
| Advocacy Day in Albany, NY |
Since this was my first time at advocacy day, I was relieved when the group from the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library took me under their wing in order to show me the ropes. I traveled with them to the offices of Senator Patrick Gallivan and Assembly-members Patrick Burke, Michael Norris, Angelo Morinello, and Karen McMahon. In some cases, we met with the officials. In other cases, we met with staffers who took copious notes to bring back to their official. For me, it was interesting to hear the BECPL folks speak about their concerns. Their functioning is reliant on construction aid to keep their library buildings safe and accessible, which they discussed in great depth.
As a school librarian, my main advocacy concern involves staffing levels statewide. Most of the people we spoke with were unaware that school librarians aren't mandated at all levels; even worse, there are some schools without a dedicated school librarian. I was glad to pass this information along in hopes that librarian staffing in our NYS public schools will increase, as this move will have positive effects for students and educators alike.
![]() |
| BECPL Library advocacy group, Assemblywoman Karen McMahon, and me! |
What was clear at the conclusion of these meetings is that Western New York's legislative leaders are ardent library supporters! It was excellent to hear that each of our representatives are committed to supporting libraries in the budget. It was also heartwarming when legislators and staffers shared their own library anecdotes, or proudly pulled their library cards out of their wallets.
After the legislative meetings, a rally for libraries was held in the well of the Legislative Offices Building. People from NYLA, various assembly-members, and even a student dance group took to the stage in support of our state's libraries.
My first time at library advocacy day in Albany! Wonderful to be surrounded by supportive representatives that see the value of robust libraries. #NYLALAD20 pic.twitter.com/ZI8XrdK7s1— Maria Muhlbauer (@muhlbs83) February 25, 2020
“It’s no longer just getting a book. It’s participating in civic life.” Thank you @ShelleyBMayer for your support of NYS libraries! #NYLALAD20 pic.twitter.com/zAmJxj5vjC— Maria Muhlbauer (@muhlbs83) February 25, 2020
When the rally concluded, I was able to spend time touring the institutions available in the state's capital. My first stop was the New York State Museum. The exhibits in this museum were incredible! As I walked through, I couldn't help but realize how many tie-ins this museum had to our NYS K-12 curriculum. I was especially interested in the Iroquois culture exhibits, as this corresponds with my school district's namesake. This got my wheels turning about a potential student trip to library advocacy day and the museum!
![]() |
| Amazing artifacts on display at the New York State Museum. |
My next stop was a behind the scenes tour of the New York State Library. Although I was somewhat familiar with the state library, I had no idea just how extensive their resources and services are. It was a real treat to get a close look at the offerings.
One of the aspects of libraries I like best is that they are places designed to level the playing field. All people can hopefully find and borrow what they need, which means that libraries must ensure that collections and services are tailored to people with varying abilities. A great example of this is the Talking Book & Braille Library division. This service is FREE for all NYS residents with visual disabilities (and now those with reading disabilities) so they have access to content in a way that best meets their needs. This division processes a huge volume of book requests!
![]() |
| Information about the Talking Book & Braille Library through the NYS Library. |
![]() |
| Just a small selection of the resources offered! |
Other stops on the library tour included visiting their digitization department and the New York State Archives. It was illuminating to see the great lengths that librarians and archivists go to in order to preserve our state's history.
![]() |
| Students today have never had the pleasure of this creation! |
![]() |
| Digitization equipment. |
![]() |
| Visiting the NYS Archives. |
![]() |
| A replica of one of the documents preserved by the NYS Archives. |
The library advocacy initiatives didn't end after library advocacy day. The Western New York Library Resources Council had planned advocacy sessions with legislators in various libraries across our region. On March 5th, 2020, I attended a meeting at the Elma Public Library with Senator Patrick Gallivan and Assemblyman David DiPietro. This was a great opportunity to connect face-to-face with lawmakers, and alert them to the value of school librarians and effective school library programs. As I had previously learned in Albany, these legislators are huge library supporters!
As the NYS budget vote loomed, the imminent threat of
COVID-19 really threw a wrench into plans for increases to library
funding. However, our state legislators should be commended for making sure that libraries remained a priority, even in the toughest of times. Although restorations couldn't be made to Library Construction Aid, Assembly and Senate members did manage to restore $2.5 million to Library Operating Aid which is now at $94.1 million for 2020-2021. This restoration will help libraries continue to fulfill their mission of bringing quality programming, content, and other vital services to our NYS communities.
If there is one takeaway I've gleaned from participating in library advocacy day, it is that library advocacy efforts need to be broad, strategic, and sustained. Although it is energizing to come together with other library supporters for the day in Albany, advocacy efforts must continue all year long. There are so many heroes within our library community that work tirelessly to keep these advocacy conversations going.
As stakeholders understand the value of the varied services of libraries, support will only continue to grow. I'm proud to work alongside the librarians working across our state in order to ensure our communities have access to the information and servies they need. Wishing a happy #NYLibraryWeek to you all!









No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.